Florence is an interactive story game about first loves, lost loves, and growing up. It is emotionally resonant, and its play feels like a short story.
Who Should Play:
Florence is a great first game for Gaming Circles. It is easy to play and available on different platforms. It is particularly a good fit for those who like story-based games.
Made by: Producer: Annapurna Interactive; Developer: Mountains
Available on: Android, iOS, Mac OS, Microsoft, Nintendo Switch
Price: $2.99 – $5.99 (depending on operating system)
Play time: 1-2 hours
Questions about Florence:
1. Did you find yourself relating to Florence, as a character? Which of her experiences resonated the most with your own?
2. The game uses a chapter structure, like a book. Do you think video games can feel literary by doing this? Should games emulate other fiction media, or be different?
3. You had to do a lot of work on behalf of Florence to make the story go forward. Which of the chores felt monotonous and which ones felt like they helped you understand the story better?
4. How was a romance story game different from other kinds of romances?
5. How long did the game take you to play? Did you play it all at once or break it up throughout your day(s)? Do you think the game should have been longer?
6. What kind of emotions were evoked by this game story?
7. There was not much dialogue in the game. Do you think more dialogue would have helped you relate better to the characters, or did the visual language of action make you empathize with the story more?
8. Florence is not particularly challenging. Did you feel like you wanted more challenge? Or were the easy game actions better for focusing on the narrative?
9. If this story had been in another medium, would it have been as effective?
General Gaming Circle Questions:
1. What did and didn’t you like about the game?
2. How much time did you spend playing? Did you play all at once or break up your time?
3. Did you play during other activities, or dedicate time solely to playing?
4. Did the game feel like a waste of time? A good use of time? Explain.
Links & Walkthroughs:
• Official Web Site
• Polygon (Review)
• AppUnwrapper (Review & Walkthrough)