Monument Valley 2 is a sequel to Monument Valley, this time replacing protagonist Ida with a mother and daughter team, solving mysteries together.
Who Should Play:
While Monument Valley is technically a sequel, it does not require playing the first game first (although it might be helpful). The mother daughter team in this version invites new mechanics to the original setup, taking place in the same worldscape.
Made by: Developer: ustwo studio, ltd.
Available on: Android, iOS
Play time: 2-4 hours
Questions for Monument Valley 2:
- If you already played Monument Valley, how did the change in protagonist(s) change your perspective of the game world? Did you enjoy one game more than the other?
- How did the mirroring mechanic between mother (Ro) and her daughter create an emotional resonance in your playing?
- The scene where the mother separates from the daughter is emotionally resonant, and somewhat upsetting. How did this departure effect your continuation of play?
- The game series refers to geometry as “sacred geometry.” What does this term mean to you, and do you think that idea was well-articulated in the game world?
- Consider the experiences of moving in unnatural ways (walking upside down, etc.). Was the magical realism of the game compelling? Terrifying? What kind of emotions does this strange physics evoke for you?
- In what way was the narrative about personal growth and change?
- Was there one level or scene that you found particularly intricate or difficult, or you thought was emotionally compelling beyond the others? What sticks with you after playing the game?
General Gaming Circle Questions:
- What did and didn’t you like about the game?
- How much time did you spend playing? Did you play all at once or break up your time?
- Did you play during other activities, or dedicate time solely to playing?
- Did the game feel like a waste of time? A good use of time? Explain.
Links & Walkthroughs:
• Official Web Site
• Polygon (Review)
• App Unwrapper (Walkthrough)